Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Start

It was a typical weekend, getting ready to go out with the girls and looking for something to wear. Going thru the usual ritual of trying on several different outfits until I find the one that works. Except this time, going thru the outfits was NOT because it didn't match, or NOT the right color, or I did NOT have the proper accessories, it was because I had become TOO BIG for my clothes. Pants are tighter than normal, shirts just don't hang like they use to, and everywhere I look there is this little bit of pudge sticking out. Just a bloated day I would tell myself. But before I knew it my wardrobe was warping into flowy items and much larger sizes. Next thing I know shopping in "normal" store is becoming more difficult and I'm finding myself looking online for sizes I never thought I would need to buy. WHAT HAPPENED???

So here I am verging on the edge of shopping at plus size stores and wondering where my body wondered off too.

My body wondered off when I found myself sucked into TV, deep fried goodness, and grazing. Yes grazing, I work in a restaurant and the biggest temptation working is graving off the back lines. Food just there waiting to be consumed by paying customers. Yet employees get to it first. Grabbing a bite here and bite there something to keep hunger down while running all over the restaurant. Then, there is the soda machine with the evil cone cups of sugary doom. You see, for the non restaurant working person, in the back next to the soda machine are cone cups for the servers to use when they are thirsty. Just grab a cup fill it up with your soda of choice take a swig and move on. It's an attempt to keep servers from using glassware and to go cups. But those cups are so deceiving cause you think it is just a little swig of soda, no harm before you know it you're grabbing one every time you go to the back and have no idea of how much soda you're consuming. Then, I'm working crazy hours, never up at the same time any day and going to bed at odd hours of the night. Also when I get off work I can't just fall asleep I need to unwind and I'm usually hungry. What is there available at 1am to eat that is not fast food or diners? Who wants to get done serving people food all day just to go home and make food and serve yourself? It is an evil battle I am facing.

As I got sucked into reality TV I found myself balling during Biggest Loser episodes and telling myself I can do that. But instead of working out, I'm sitting on the couch watching people fight the battle I need to be fighting. Hearing trainer tips go in one ear and out the other. I keep telling myself I can do this, but then finding myself online wondering if I qualify for the show, but don't think I'm big enough. Then the whole maybe I should just let myself get bigger so i could qualify for the show? But what if I don't? Gambling extra weight to get on a reality TV show is not a good strategy.

So what is my strategy? I don't know. What I do know....I need to get off the couch. Aside for my blog updates. Where to start? That is the question. Goals are always a good starting point. So I have to set a few short term goals and will try to accomplish my goals one week at a time. As the weeks go by I will update you cyber world, on my progress as a way to be accountable to something.

Short term Goals:
1. Run a 5k
2. Post 2 new things I've learn about healthy eating every week.
3. Get into my "skinny jeans"

Week 1 Goals: (June 13th-19th)
1. Schedule a physical and get the painful truth of how unhealthy I've become.
2. Start running
3. Find a "healthy, diet, make you hot in 6 weeks" book to read (Confession: I stink at reading)

Next Week I will give an update on the journey. Feel free to leave encouragement and suggestions for reading materials or tips of some sort.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good idea, I'm sad I didn't think of it first! =)

    I think you can do it and accomplish your goals; some of my advice would be that if you're going to find a type of diet or something to follow I would suggest something like Weight Watchers where it doesn't limit what you can and cannot eat but helps with portion control etc.

    I am trying to do the same thing you are doing so I totally understand but am confident you can do it!

    ReplyDelete

I greatly appreciate all forms of encouragement and advise you may have to offer.