Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Week 1 Day 2

Confession: My thighs rub together.

Thus the reason why I wear pants on a regular basis and very rarely wear skirts, dresses, and shorts.

Lets take a walk down memory lane. Many moons ago I use to go to camp....NOT band camp! It was a typical camp where each week is a different age group, doing typical camp things, ropes course, nature activities, sports, crafts, etc. At the age of 13 one can stay at camp and be a "junior staffer" which basically means you volunteer to help keep the camp clean. Cleaning dishes, bathrooms, maintenance etc. All of us junior staffers stay in the farmhouse, work, hang out and just have fun. At the end of every night our staff parents would get us together for a nightly devotion. Which usually ends with prayer request of all sorts. Well one night, Chris, raised his hand for a prayer request. You see Chris is a big kid, and had an unusual request. In all his seriousness, requested prayer for his thighs. Because he was so big, his thighs had a tendency to rub together. And in the hot summer walking around a hot kitchen cleaning dishes tended to make his legs rub together quit a bit and get to the point where the skin got irritated, became red, and bled. It was a rather awkward moment because he was being serious and probably in a lot of pain, but it was an usual prayer request and most difficult for teens to keep from snickering. You felt bad but kinda glad that was something you never had to worry about....Don't worry it gets better.

Every night for our devo's the older staffers take turns leading the staff in a devotion. Chris volunteered for one night, and he used his bleeding thighs as an example for his devotion. So to aid him in his explanation he had his friend Katie reenact his pain. From walking around to the kitchen, slowing down, showing pain in the thighs and the upset realizing they are bleeding. It was most comical cause Katie was about 5'9" and weighed maybe 120lbs. So it was fun to watch a skinny girl try to act out a fat kids pain. Needless to say Chris was always a good sport about his weight. He even named his fat legged condition. I can't remember now, but he really wanted it to become a legitimant condition something recorded in a medical journal.

Ok back to today, No my legs are not that big that they rub together and bleed, but I'm sure I'm 20lbs away from that being a problem. Right now they just rub time to time and get a little irritated. Remembering Chris' pain is a good reminder to me to get in shape before I have bleeding thighs.

Today, I did cardio and just about died. First of all I made the mistake of wearing slightly too short shorts. I chose them because they had pockets and I need somewhere to put my ipod. Which seemed like a good idea cause I would be running so fewer the clothes, less wind resistance, stay cooler longer.....not so much. I was on a treadmill and sweating beyond all reason. Then the shorts just didn't sit right and basically turned into camel toe and in a weird position, but if I tried to fix it my thigh would rub and that was no bueno. So I felt a bit awkward while running, thankfully my husband was the only other one in the gym so I didn't look like a fool to anyone else. If you are at all confused at what I'm talking about you're too skinny. Chubby girls around the world will know what I'm talking about.

Since I am training to run a 5K I figured I would start some of my training today. While reading my guide to training for a 5K, it was a basic interval training of walking, then running, then walking. They suggest starting with a brisk walk and move up to a run from there. Well, since I lived in NYC for a year I've got brisk walk down to a T, its the running I need to work on. Before, today when I would go to the gym (which was about once a week if I'm lucky) I would do some interval training of sprinting for 20 seconds, walk for 40 seconds, etc. Well, I figured I would work on my endurance and run for a minute walk for a minute, so I can work up to running for minutes at a time....maybe one day for a full hour straight. That's a big dream for me. Well, the sprinting training was working cause I would be good for about 30 seconds and then want to quit, and I wasn't even sprinting just jogging. So I would find myself running and telling myself think of being a size 8, no tummy, extra energy, being able to shop in my favorite stores. BUT what really kept me running, the music I was listening to, the skinny bitches like Gaga, Britney, Beyonce, Katie Perry, and christina, and they would make me want to get fit. Make a music video and kick ass on youtube. Well I'll need to learn how to sing first, but in the mean time, use their music as a motivation to keep working out.

I'm sure that teeters on the line of media influencing me to fit this skinny obsessed with image body type. I'm sure those girls work hard to get the body they have and maintain that body. I think as long as I keep a good balance of wanting a hot, fit body, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle I'll achieve the goal and not turning into an insecure girl. I want to get thin and fit, but won't do anything drastic....thats because I love food too much to give it up or throw it up.

Tomorrow, more weight training....if I can pull myself out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I greatly appreciate all forms of encouragement and advise you may have to offer.